USA TODAY's Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. Sycamore Row by John Grisham (Doubleday, fiction, on sale Oct. 22)
What it's about: In this sequel to A Time to Kill, Mississippi attorney Jake Brigance (Matthew McConaughey in the movie version) is embroiled in a controversial trial involving a wealthy white man and his black maid.
The buzz: The new novel arrives just as a high-profile stage version of A Time to Kill opens on Broadway.
2. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (Little, Brown, fiction, on sale Oct. 22)
What it's about: The adventures of orphan Theo Decker, which begin when he is 13 and his mother is killed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in a terrorist attack.
The buzz: "Glorious, Dickensian… a novel that pulls together all (Tartt's) remarkable storytelling talents into a rapturous, symphonic whole and reminds the reader of the immersive, stay-up-all-night pleasures of reading," says The New York Times.
3. This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith & Life by Gavin MacLeod (Thomas Nelson, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 22)
What it's about: Memoir by the actor, now 82, who played Murray Slaughter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Capt. Stubing on The Love Boat.
The buzz: Covers the lows (depression, alcoholism, divorce) and highs (sobriety, remarriage, finding religion) of his personal and professional life.
4. Allegiant by Veronica Roth (Katherine Tegen Books, fiction, on sale Oct. 22)
What it's about: Conclusion of the best-selling dystopian Divergent trilogy, set in a futuristic Chicago; teenage Tris must make choices as a revolution threatens her "perfect society."
The buzz: The movie version of the first book, Divergent, starring Shailene Woodley and Kate Winslet, hits theaters in March.
5. If Kennedy Lived by Jeff Greenfield (Putnam, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 22)
What it's about: Subtitle: The First and Second Terms of President John F. Kennedy: An Alternate History.
The buzz: "Kennedy-era followers will enjoy this book," says the Library Journal.